Interviewee: Yes, you can. OFAC has the discretion to issue licenses authorizing U.S. persons to engage in conduct that is otherwise prohibited. Although a person can technically apply to undertake any kind of transaction, some sanctions programs contain statements of licensing policy identifying particular activities that OFAC would be willing to authorize. For example, in the Iran sanctions context, there is a favorable licensing policy for the sale of civilian aircraft parts to Iran to improve aircraft safety. There are also favorable licensing policies for the export of food, medicine, and medical devices to some of the other sanctioned countries as well.

[Back to Frequently Asked Questions]